Yeah, I know I’m not a male and I don’t have the male parts but male mental health is so important just like female mental health. I want to talk about male mental health as it is so stigmatized in today society. Everybody has mental health.
Male mental health is not a joke.
Suicide is the biggest killer in men under 45.
Male celebrities who have spoken about mental health and mental illnesses.
- Ryan Reynolds (Aka Deadpool) – Anxiety – “I have anxiety, I’ve always had anxiety,” Reynolds said. “Both in the lighthearted ‘I’m anxious about this’ kind of thing, and I’ve been to the depths of the darker end of the spectrum, which is not fun.”
- Prince Harry (Royal Family) – Depression after Princess Diana died in a car crash. “Because of the process I have been through over the past two and a half years, I’ve now been able to take my work seriously, been able to take my private life seriously as well, and been able to put blood, sweat and tears into the things that really make a difference and things that I think will make a difference to everybody else,”
- Stormzy (Rapper)– Suicidal thoughts “If there’s anyone out there going through that, I think that for them to see that I went through it would help.”
- Will Young (X Factor winner, Singer) – “take the edge off” By talking about his problems and taking medication.
- David Beckham (Footballer)– Obsessive Compulsive Disorder(OCD) “Mental illness doesn’t care what’s in your bank account or what you do for a living”.
- Adam Levine (Maroon 5 Singer) ADHD “Remember that you are not alone. There are others going through the same thing.”
- Professor Green (Rapper and has made documentaries on male suicide and male mental health) “We have to figure out a way that men can talk to one another and figure out how to make themselves feel better”.
- Zayn Malik (Singer) Anxiety & Eating Disorder ‘We’re all human. People are often afraid to admit difficulties, but I don’t believe that there should be a struggle with anything that’s the truth”
- James Arthur (Singer/Rapper) “Anxiety is something that is very close to my heart,” “I suffer daily. Music can help that.” “I want to let people know if I can do these things, things I’m not comfortable with, anyone can.”
- Pete Davidson (Actor/Comedian) BPD(Borderline Personality Disorder) “It is working, slowly but surely,” “I’ve been having a lot of problems. This whole year has been a fucking nightmare. This has been the worst year of my life, getting diagnosed with this and trying to figure out how to learn with this and live with this.”
If I had a boyfriend and who was suffering with mental health issues. I would encourage him to get the help he needed and to talk to me. I would daily tell him that it’s okay not to be okay and it’s okay to feel this way and this feeling will be treated. I would tell him that it’s not a failure as a man if he felt like he was. Because mental illnesses and physical illnesses aren’t failures. They are just hurdles you have to jump over being a human being and you are strong and a warrior for battling these demons.
It’s okay not to be okay you know, you don’t need to hide your feelings or problems.
Weakness isn’t a failure.
You don’t need to man up if you feel sad or suicidal . You need to talk to someone. Talking will save males lives.
How are you?! – It could save a life.
If you don’t feel like you could talk to someone you know.
These are some of the helplines.
Samaritans are available to talk 24/7, 365 days a year. You can call them free on 116 123.
Campaign Against Living Miserably (CALM) is dedicated to preventing male suicide. Their help line is open 5pm-midnight all year, on 0800 585858 nationwide, or 0808 8025858 for London.
National Prevention Suicide Lifeline 1-800-273-8255
US Text “HOPELINE” to 741741.
Just so you know, it’s okay not to be okay you know, even the happiest person in the universe has their bad days. You can get through this dark hole. I believe in you.
You are loved. You are worth the fight. You are more than your illnesses, you can fight this I believe in you. You are flawless. You are fabulous. You aren’t alone. You are amazing and I’m proud of you all.
You can beat these thoughts. I believe in you. I will always be there for you even if it’s on the internet or email or even in person one day. You are loved. You are needed in this world because you are YOU. You are badass for battling mental illness daily. I care about every single one of you. You are more than enough. You don’t need to please anyone else. God Bless x
Love, Shannon Diana xx
If you would like to contact me for PR or any collaborations or even support if you are going through a bad time. Please follow my social media accounts and email me.